Thursday, July 5, 2012

What Inspires Me

                What inspires me? Tons of things come to mind. There could be a couple of individuals sitting at a table enjoying a meal then my brain kicks in and says, “Now add killer rabid penguins into the mix!” Hey, I did say that there is tons of a thing that come to mind, and that’s just one of them.
                Mostly I would have to say it’s my dreams.  Could it be the pizza I ate right before bed that creates such morbid and twisted nocturnal visions? Perhaps, but that can’t be all there is to it. So what can I do with these dreams? I twist and turn them around memories from my past and slam it all together in an explosion of creativity madness.
                And with like anything you want to make as perfect as you possibly can, you think about it, and I thought about mine a lot. I’m a travelling technician in the good old state of West Virginia and while I’m on these back roads, I have a lot of time to think. But there is one special road that I do a ton of thinking on and that’s Route 50.
                I still get and have gotten some of my best thoughts on Route 50. There’s just something about that road that gets to me. It’s a long trip and most of the time I get little or no cell service so I’m bothered less to none while travelling that route. There’s that and then there’s the pretty straight forward path that takes me nearly into Ohio and not much curves there. Maybe there’s more to that road than I can see, I don’t know, but what I do know is that if I didn’t travel on that road as much as I have and still do, I might not be as far along with the Novel as I am now.
                But what else inspires me is seeing someone else I know doing something similar. I could see an acquaintance or a friend writing a poem or making a song and I think, “Hey, I can do that,” which I or anyone else can. You just have to put your mind to it and do it. “Time, patience, and gumption,” that’s what I say.

                Carl Jung:
The Meaning of Psychology for Modern Man (1934): “The dream is the small hidden door in the deepest and most intimate sanctum of the soul, which opens to that primeval cosmic night that was soul long before there was conscious ego and will be soul far beyond what a conscious ego could ever reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment