Sunday, August 18, 2013

Back to the Grind


Here we all are, 8/18/13. Finally my work schedule for the past 15 weeks has hopefully changed back to the way it used to be. From 12 to 18 hour work days back to 8. If only I got paid overtime… That’s a whole other story. Anyway, my work schedule has changed, my vacation, I’m on my last day, and a lot of things I have experienced.

During this time I have not gotten to write like I’ve wanted to and meeting my personal deadline by the end of this year is right out of my reach. But I can’t complain too much for I’ve met some interesting people that will be difficult to forget; some in a bad way, others, good. With the meeting of these people, character creation comes into my mind. Taking traits from these people and implementing them and my experiences with them into my characters.

I’m sure it’s the same or almost the same for most writers. But I would not have thought of these things on my own if I did not go out and experience them for myself. Branching out and opening your mind up to new ways of life is something I’m not keen on. I like to stay in my world, my bubble, and live life the best I know how. As I watch others in their lives, I don’t have to be directly involved, but I can get the basis understanding. It’s almost like going to Wal-Mart and watch people be…themselves.

Scary as that may sound, I’ll move onto the next thing; the categories of people. I’ve noticed also that there is a certain “type” of people they belong to. You learn this in school, not by teachers or professors mind you, but from your peers. The preps, the geeks, the nerds, the goths, the emos, etc. etc. and it’s no different out in the real world.

Don’t judge unless ye be judged. It’s not about judging someone but categorizing. You’ll notice in your life, knowingly or unknowingly, that you’ll see someone act and possibly look like someone you know personally. For an example, a buddy of mine’s brother (whom also I consider a friend) acts, thinks, and somewhat looks like a guy I worked with for the past fifteen weeks.

It was almost uncanny. So it is like, “Hey, this guy is like so-n-so. What if…” and I proceed to follow the same path I would use for my so-n-so friend (names need not apply) and what do you know, it worked. So if you are a people person or have a lot of friends, take a look around. You just might see a variety of similarities that you never noticed before.

No comments:

Post a Comment